OH Property Group agents are well known for our market knowledge. Many selling agents actually contact us and invite us to view their new property listings so as to get our feedback on the price. Selling agents call us for several reasons:
- we see more properties than even selling agents do – hence we have a very good sense of prices;
- we are familiar with many areas whereas most selling agents only specialise in 3-5 suburbs at most;
- they cannot call competing agents for obvious reasons – as buyers’ agents, we are not their competitors;
- we may have seen a comparable property in the neighbourhood which was recently listed and sold by a competing agent and which the selling agent has not seen;
- we may have a buyer already lined up.
Below is an example of a property that an agent contacted us to inspect and discuss.
Our appraisal to the selling agent for this property was $1.4 – $1.5 million maximum. The agent felt $1.7 million was achievable because of the quality finishes to the house. Our feedback was that even though the renovation has been done nicely, the house lacked a proper backyard – which is a must given the family-oriented neighbourhood it was located in.
This property was sold on 28 September 2009. How much did it sell for? $1.5 million exactly.
Once again, our agents have been spot-on with their appraisal. No wonder selling agents love to call on us!!!
If you are looking to sell your property and are unsure of the price you can realistically achieve, feel free to contact our independent agents. While we do NOT sell properties, we would be happy to provide some free advice and may even be able to recommend good selling agents in your area. And because we are not trying to ‘win’ the listing from you, you can be assured that we will not inflate our appraisal the way many selling agents do.
About Oliver Stier
Oliver J. Stier is the Director of OH Property Group, a leading Sydney buyers agency. He studied Quantitative Economics and Finance at Cambridge University (UK), University of Toronto (Canada) and Princeton University (USA). In addition to being a licensed real estate agent, Oliver also holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.